POSITION TITLE: Clerk of Council
DEPARTMENT: City Council
- Attend all Council Meetings, regular and special; keep an accurate and complete record of all proceedings of Council (Regular and Special Council Meetings, Committee of the Whole Meetings and Public Hearings.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the City Charter, Council Rules and Sunshine Laws.
- Prepare a record of proceedings as described in Articles IV, Section 10 (Procedure)
(a) Keep a journal of proceedings, which shall be a public record.
(b) “Ayes” and “nays” shall be entered upon the journal; and upon the passage of every ordinance or resolution, the vote shall be taken by ‘ayes” or ‘nays” and entered upon the journal; and no ordinance or resolution shall be passed without the concurrence of a majority of the members elected to Council.
- Serve as recording secretary to Planning Commission, and Zoning Board of Appeals, also, the Standing Committees, as requested.
- Certifies and/or attest to required documents, ordinances, resolutions, and materials for the City Council; authenticate by his or her signature all Minutes, Resolutions and Ordinances of Council.
- Post all ordinances, resolutions, statements, orders, proclamations, notices and reports required by law by the Charter.
- Prepare Council’s materials for distribution, containing agenda materials all legislation the weekend prior to City Council meeting (Tuesdays). Prepare agendas, legislation and meeting materials for distribution to Council Members.
- Update legislation, minutes and other documents for signature.
- Develop and maintain minutes of meetings, resolutions, ordinances and progress reports, as assigned.
- Maintain departmental files for various projects and programs.
- Prepare and submit public notifications of Council businesses, as requited by law and/or Council Rules:
- Notices and mailings for Council Public Hearings and submits same in accordance with applicable Public Notice Regulations.
- Notices for Special Council Meetings and delivers same to Council.
- Posts all notices for all departments and maintains record of those postings.
- Prepare Council agendas and Council information packets, including accepting applicable historical documents and pertinent records, and compiling proposed legislation for inclusion in the agenda of Council.
- Attend meetings of Council and Council Committees and prepare the taking and preparation of minutes.
- Deliver all adopted ordinances and resolutions to the Administration and assure all files on signed ordinances and resolutions are maintained on City file.
- Work independently on projects, as assigned by City Council.
- Work in conjunction with federal, state and local government agencies.
- Minimum of (2) years full-time clerical experience.
- Associates Degree preferable, minimum High School diploma.
- Business education courses.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use personal computer---Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Background Check required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Full-time position.
- The Clerk must provide a time sheet for finance department, sign-off by the President of Council or the Council designee.
- Establish and maintain effective working relations with others and handle difficult interpersonal contacts.
Qualified applicants please submit resumes by October 26, 2018.
City of Warrensville Heights
Attn: Dawn Cowan
4301 Warrensville Center Road
Warrensville Heights Ohio 44128.
Or e-mail to [email protected] for a full job descriptionplease log onto cityofwarrensville.com or pick up at Warrensville Heights City Hall.